Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Top Rookie Running Backs for 2010

Who’s your daddy and what does he do? Well I’ll tell you Mr. John Kimble. My daddy is Jahvid Best “There is” and he is the engine that makes my fantasy team run. Take that to the bank people. Jahvid Best will be the best rookie running back in fantasy football this year. That is why I am scooping him up in every fantasy draft I weasel myself into (5 and counting at this point for those of you keeping track at home). He’s got track star speed, Barry Sanders type moves (yeah I said it despite how irresponsible that is) and great hands. In point per reception leagues, this guy is going to be a vulture. In 3 plus quarters this pre-season he has 129 yards rushing on 15 carries and 29 yards receiving with 4 catches. We are talking about 18 points per game in PPR leagues with another quarter to play. Now I can hear the cynics saying he plays for Detroit and that Detroit never makes a good pick, he got hurt last year and yadda yadda yadda. But this isn’t the Detroit Lions we are used to. Matt Millen made all of those horrible picks in the early decade. Not this administration. This team has a strategy. This team has a freakishly awesome wide receiver, talented young quarterback and will play 9 of his 16 games in a dome where the turf will make him even faster! And the injury thing? How many of you know-it-all's were saying that Adrian Peterson was injury prone coming out of college? Every professional Running Back gets hurt!! So take it or leave it but at the end of the season, Best will be the top rookie RB. Here are some of my thoughts on the other rookie RBs:

Ryan Matthews, San Diego: I’m liking this guy a lot, but not loving him. I just think that too many fantasy geeks are envisioning him to do what LT did while at San Diego. Keep in mind that LT is a stone cold lock for the hall of fame. He did things on the field that no one can do, so it is unfair to set those expectations for Matthews. They are portraying this guy to be a top flight RB but it will take time. That’s why I think so many of you geeks are taking him early. You are expecting  him to be LT when he just isn’t. Personally, I'm not taking him until the late 3rd or early 4th round in standard leagues and probably a little earlier in keeper leagues. Expect him to go within the top 3 in rookie only drafts.

C.J. Spiller, Buffalo: This Clemson product would have been higher on my list if he could have gotten to a team that had more of a foundation. Truth be told the Bills will be picking in the top 5 next year and I am guessing they will be going after Jake Locker if he doesn’t follow his baseball career, but I digress. Spiller is a cornerstone that this organization needs. His fantasy football stock this year should be kept in check due to his poor offensive line and crowded backfield but keeper leagues should absolutely look to go after this guy early. He was the second overall pick in my rookie only draft and will continue to be a top 4 pick in all rookie only drafts. Look for him to go around the 8th round in standard leagues.

Montario Hardesty, Cleveland: I guess the guy I would closest relate this guy to is Correll Buckhalter. Now, if I am talking in the sense of being a pure football fan, then yes, I would love to have this guy on my team. He would be a jack of all trades just as Correll was with the Eagles and now the Broncos. But fantasy wise he won’t ever be much than a bye-week fill-in due to his injury risk. He is battling Jerome Harrison for carries and has already missed most of the pre-season with another knee injury. He had 3 major knee injuries in college and the wear and tear will add up quicker than usual on this guy. Cleveland has a poor QB situation and no passing game to speak of. Teams are going to crowd the box and stop the run and that won’t be good for the Harrison/Hardety owners of the world. If you must, only draft Hardesty if you draft Harrison. That’s the only way it makes sense to me. Dynasty league owners can take him anywhere around picks 12-15.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home