Wednesday, April 13, 2011

On the Block: Detroit Lions

For the next two weeks leading up to the draft, I am going to assume to roll of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 13th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select…


Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College (6’7” 311 LBS)

"Stallion"
I got a franchise WR.  I got a franchise DT.  I got a franchise QB. Next franchise position I need is at tackle.  It will be real tempting to pair Nick Fairley with Suh in the middle but I need to protect my QB and establish a commitment to Matt Stafford by protecting him. Stallion is a big enough and athletic enough to go on Matt’s blindside and be a force in the running game.  He is a close second to Tyron Smith for top tackle honors and I’d be a fool to think that I need another dominant DT.

This team has come a long way from where we were 5 years ago and I don’t want to waste it on such a volatile player like Nick Fairley.  There are also other top DL out there that  I would consider like J.J. Watt, Aldon Smith, and Muhammad Wilkerson but protecting the QB should be the top goal for any team and we haven’t been doing that.  That changes now.

In the early second round I am going to look at what is available on defense.  Our pass defense was an embarrassment last year so I’d like to get a pass rusher or a defensive back at this pick.  Brandon Harris and Davon House could be there or I could go with a DE like Sam Acho.  We could move back up again into the end of the first round like we did last year when we got Jahvid Best. 

St. Louis is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home