Thursday, April 14, 2011

On the Clock: St. Louis

For the next two weeks leading up to the draft, I am going to assume to roll of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 14th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams select…


Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois (6’2” 299 LBS)

"Hambone"
  Sam Bradford looks like he could be a potential star in this league.  I would love to get a playmaker like Julio Jones for him but I haven’t really ever been the type of GM to trade up in the draft to get a player.  I’d much rather stay put or move back.  But with Corey on the board and Fred Robbins our current starting DT I need to make an upgrade.  I was considering Mike Pouncey at this pick to help upgrade our inside presence but there is enough depth at the C/G position that I can wait till later for that position.

"Hambone" has great quickness off the ball and should be a force in the running game.  His pass rush skills aren’t fully developed but he does have great strength to bull rush.  Spags will have a fun time teaching this athletic DT how to play the game right.  Scouts tell me that his coaching was lacking at Illinois, to no fault of his own.

When we pick again at pick 47, we HAVE to get a playmaker on the outside and there will be plenty options at that spot.  I personally love Torrey Smith.  His top end speed is top notch and that is exactly what this offense needs.  Leonard Hankerson and Titus Young might be there as well so I could consider them if Torrey is off the board, but at that point I think there might be more valuable players on the board along the OLine.

Miami is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home