Monday, April 18, 2011

On the Clock: Jacksonville Jaguars

For the 10 days leading up to the draft, I am going to assume to roll of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 16th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select…


Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri (6’4” 263 LBS)

"Freak 2.0"
After upgrading last year at DT with Aluala we again go to the D-line to improve our defense.  Getting to the QB is an issue and smith has shown time and again he can be and impact up front.  He is has a wingspan a shade under 80 inches and should be a terror on the outside for us.  I want him to add some weight.  10 pounds would be ideal.  We have some serious issues at QB and our wide receivers are lacking but improving our defense is the quickest way to stay competitive.  We can’t reach for a QB or wide receiver at this spot in the draft.

We were looking at Fairley but feel that our edge rushers need more of an improvement that our interior does. “Freak 2.0” will accomplish this goal.   In the second round I might look for a safety like Rahim Moore or even consider a WR like Jon Baldwin.  I know he has some character concerns but his large frame will be a great presence inside the red zone for the small CBs to deal with.

Our biggest concern is at QB and we may have to do something about it in this draft.  A guy like Ricky Stanzi interests me since he is pretty undervalued at this point and I could probably get him in the 6th round and throw him on the bench for a year so that he can develop.

New England is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home