Wednesday, April 20, 2011

On the Block: San Diego Chargers

For the 6 days leading up to the draft, I am going to assume to roll of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 18th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers select…


Muhammad Wlikerson, DE, Temple (6’4” 315 LBS)

"Big Willie"
With Ron Rivera leaving for Carolina, we got some issues on defense.  His scheme and aggressiveness is what allowed our team to be so good on defense.  With him gone, the only way we keep our dominant defense is to add some talent on defense at Wilkerson has plenty of that.  He is appealing to me since he can play the 5 technique or 3 technique along the line.  He is very quick for a man of his size and should help immensely with our run defense.

Big Willie also has that leadership quality that this team is looking for.  He is someone that players over the next few years can listen to and believe in.  Right now our defense doesn’t have that.  I could have considered Ryan Kerrigan at this spot or even an O-lineman but Willie is too versatile to pass up.  I have an amazing coach that just left our defense so I need to help counter the issue.

When we pick again in the second round I might be in a position to trade out and get a few later picks in the draft.  Maybe a later 2nd round pick and a 4th rounder.  If we don’t trade out I will be looking at Jon Baldwin from Pitt.  Vincent Jackson might be on the way our so I need to help Phillip find a new red zone target.


New York is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home