Tuesday, April 26, 2011

On the Clock: Atlanta Falcons

For the 2 days leading up to the draft, I am going to assume the role of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 27th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Ravens select…


Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama (5’9” 215 lbs)


"Sir Ingram"

Michael Turner has been a beast for us the last 3 years and now that he is 29 years old he might start to wear down. If I want to prolong his career and get the most out of him I need to find a RB that can spell him and eventually take over the RB duties.  Ingram is not the burner that we know Turner to be but he will convert on 3rd and short and can block on passing downs.  Everyone is assuming we are going to replace Tony Gonzalez with his eventual heir or another DE opposite of John Abraham but there are Des that will be available later that can fill that void.

"Sir Ingram" is going to add value in two ways.  He will provide longevity to Turner’s career along with providing a second threat on the ground that Atlanta has been looking for.  He fits the power run game beautifully and is a class act.  To be able to get a Heisman trophy winner this late in the draft is very valuable.  I’d be a fool to not address the RB situation within the 1st or 2nd round.

Now that I have my RB of the future I can go get a DE in the second round.  Donta Moch, Jabaal Sheard, Justin Houston, and Christian Ballard will all be available late in round 2.  Defensive End have been notorious for being first round flops so I don’t want to blow a first round pick on a potentially poor DE.  I will look to get Virgil Green or Jordan Cameron later in the draft as well to help create an heir to Gonzo’s position.

New England is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home