Monday, April 25, 2011

On the Clock: Seattle Seahawks

For the 4 days leading up to the draft, I am going to assume the role of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 25th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select…


Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor (6’3” 334 lbs)

"Load"
We are in flux at the QB position and need some help in the defensive backfield as well, but getting a run plugging DT will go a long way.  We gave up 118 yards rushing per game, which was second worst among teams that made the playoffs.  If we can plug that hole on 1st and second downs, we might be able to improve upon our 3rd down defense as teams would conceivably have a 3rd and 6, rather than a 3rd and 2.

I know “Load” isn’t the sexiest pick in the draft, but he will be dominant on 1st and 2nd downs.  It is very hard to find DT’s that size and athletic and when the opportunity presents itself, we need to take advantage.  It is going to be hard to pass on Christian Ponder and Andy Daulton, but I think if we can resign Hasselbeck or trade for Kolb, we will be in a better position to win the division this year.  There even might be a QB in the second round I could take.

In the second round Colin Kaepernick will be available and I might even trade about 5 or 6 spots to make sure I get him.  He’s big, athletic, and has a strong arm.  I just don’t know how he will translate those skills to the NFL.  I also need help at CB so I could ideally take a CB with that pick as well.  Brandon Harris will be a player I target along with Davon House.

Baltimore is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home