Saturday, April 23, 2011

On the Clock: Philadelphia Eagles

For the next five days leading up to the draft, I am going to assume the role of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 23nd pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select…

Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado (6’2”, 211 lbs)


"Hood"

We have got 2 major holes on this team.  Our interior offensive line is poor and we have no real CB opposite of Asante Samuel.  Jimmy Smith is a large CB who gets involved with stopping the run and is a solid tackler.  He can come up on the line and press the wide receivers without getting overmatched.  He could really be the next shut down corner in this league.  Now some people are down on Jimmy because of his off the field issues but our reports show that he is past that and is ready to be a Philadelphia Eagle.
"Hood" is going to be a fan favorite.  He is physical and makes plays happen.  I know our defensive tackles are weak and we need more of a pass rush from them, but I don’t think there are any defensive tackles available that can get a pass rush.  Stephen Paea is an option but I believe Jimmy Smith is a better DB than Paea is at DT.
I am definitely fielding calls for this 1st round pick because that is simply what we always do.  We rarely stay in at the pick that we have and love a lot of picks.  I want to get Marvin Austin or Clint Boiling in the second round.  If Ben Ijalana is there or close to falling to us we will trade up to get him.  He can play right tackle or move inside to tackle.
New Orleans is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home