Monday, April 25, 2011

On the Clock: New Orleans Saints

For the 5 days leading up to the draft, I am going to assume the role of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 24th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select…


Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa (6’2” 280 LBS)

"Dreads"
We got holes all over the defense and for us to contend against Atlanta and the other dominant offenses in the NFC we need some help on defense.  That is why I go after Adrian Clayborn.  He is a massive DE who can play the 5 technique, also known as the strong side of the line.  He’ll take on the tackle and tight on running plays and be able to hold the point to force the RBs out wider.  He also has great initial burst so we he could get anywhere to 8-10 sacks per season without even breaking a sweat.

“Dreads” is a mammoth DE and will be someone that offensive coordinators will need to game plan for.  As a coach, the more players that you need to game plan for, the more of a chance something else gets overlooked.  I could have gone with Marvin Austin here or even Stephen Paea.  It’s no secret that our defensive tackles are average at best.  I just think that Adrian is the safer pick at this spot.

With our 56th pick we will need to look at either OLB or DT.  Bruce Carter is an intriguing OLB but with his knee injury I might have to let him slide and fall into the 3rd round.  Jonas Mouton could also be an option at OLB.  If Akeem Ayers falls out of the first round and slides into the second round I will not hesitate to trade up and get him.

Seattle is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home