Tuesday, April 26, 2011

On the Clock: Chicago Bears

For the 2 days leading up to the draft, I am going to assume the role of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 29th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select…

Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State (6’5” 321 lbs)


"Shred"

Since Jay Cutler was looking at completed passes from his back for most of the regular season, we will need to go get the best tackle on the board.  Derek doesn’t strike you as someone with the Chicago Bear mentality, but he will absolutely grow on Bears fans.  He is smart (3.51 GPA) and has the potential to be a blindside tackle.

"Shred" is going to be a good OL in this league.  Not elite, but good.  He is how I would describe as a jack of all trades and master of none.  He is good in run blocking and good in pass blocking but not great in either.  I could have looked at Danny Watkins here but felt that our interior lineman weren’t as important as the tackles.  Marvin Austin is expected to be here and we may take him if no O-lineman are available at the 29th pick, but we think we can get Shred.

There is no doubt in my mind we will get trade offers for this pick from the teams in the top part of the second round that are trying to get back into the top of the draft.  There are plenty of QB’s left on the board and plenty of QB needy teams left to try and make a deal.  We’ll see what happens.  I like

In the second round I’ll be looking at Drake Nevis from LSU at a DT position or possibly Rahim Moore.  We definitely need some DB help.  We’ll be picking late in the second so it is tough to mock who will be there for us.

New York is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home