Tuesday, April 26, 2011

On the Clock: New England

For the 2 days leading up to the draft, I am going to assume the role of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 28th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select…


Cameron Jordan, DE, California (6’4” 287 lbs)

"Juice"
The chances of us using both of our first round picks this year is about as likely as Charlie Sheen taking over as GM of our wicked organization.  With that said I have no choice but to pick at this spot and Cameron Jordan makes sense here.  We had a ton of injuries along our defensive line and getting a DE that fits the 3-4 scheme is rare, so we need to take advantage of that. But like I said, I’d really like to trade this pick for some picks next year since we only have 5 in 2012.  We also pick again at #33 and since we are a team with very few holes, I can afford to leverage this pick.

"Juice" is a strong, high motor DE that will anchor the defense and apply sufficient pressure on the outside.  He can probably afford to add 10 lbs and stay versatile, but first we want him to get used to the system before we ask him to get to the weight room.  Coaches deemed him as fully matured after a rough freshman year.  Hugh Douglas type leader.

In the second round we again will be looking to trade the pick.  If we can’t get some future picks or value picks this year then we will upgrade along the offensive line and in the backfield.  Torrey Smith is a deep threat that this team needs. I also love Leonard Hankerson’s route running ability.  Don’t be surprised if we go get Ryan Williams or Mikel Leshoure either.  If Derek Sherrod is there at the 33rd pick I will almost have to take him if no trade agreement can be met. 

Chicago is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home