Thursday, April 28, 2011

On the Clock: New York Jets

For the next few hours leading up to the draft, I am going to assume the role of each NFL general manager and make draft picks based upon need, scheme, and in some cases wants.  I will not make any trades throughout this process but will chime in when I think one is needed.  Each day leading up to the draft I will make a pick and summarize my thought process of why certain teams will go a particular way.  So put this blog in your favorites section and check back daily to see who I will select for each team.  With the 30th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select…


Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St (6’5” 294 lbs)

"Ironhead: 2.0"
Our Jets defense got meaner today.  Adding a DE like Heyward to our 3-4 alignment will increase our ability to stop the run and also get pressure on the QB.  He is a do it all type of lineman that can run the 3 or 5 technique.  He can even add about 5-10 lbs which is something I will ask of him.  I was thinking Akeem Ayers here along with Danny Watkins, but Heyward has more upside.

“Ironhead: 2.0” is a beast. Son of former running back, “Ironhead” Heyward, we assume hewill have the same nastiness as his father.  He was a preseason top 10 pick but fell due to poor performance.  We attribute it to poor scheme and coaching in Ohio St.  Getting our defense younger up front was the goal of this draft and this is a huge step.

Kenrick Ellis needs to be a JET before the 2nd round ends.  His mammoth body would greatly help out on front 3 and I know we can get him if we trade up a few spots and take him early.  I don’t want to take any chance of one of these teams jumping over us at the end of the 2nd and getting this mammoth NT. 

Pittsburgh is on the clock…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home