Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dynasty Rookie Rankings: Top 5 QBs, RBs, and WRs

The NFL draft has come and gone and we are starting to enter into the time of year when we start to look when we can schedule our drafts.  For the past few weeks I have been looking over all of the rookies and their respective situations and I am now ready to rank my top 5 rookies for each position.  I truly think that there will be plenty of intrigue from this draft class and the way they produce on the fantasy football level.  These rankings are strictly based off of a PPR Dynasty league.
Rookie QB’s
1.       Cam Newton- Panthers
With a good running game in place already in Carolina, Cam will be able to keep the defense honest.  He won’t make an impact this year but in maybe 2-3 years, he could be elite. Top 10 pick in rookie only drafts.

2.       Andy Dalton- Cincinnati
With a big time WR in A.J Green already on the team, Dalton could be the one who rises the quickest.  He will probably go somewhere around the 15th-20th pick in rookie drafts.

3.       Christian Ponder- Minnesota
Ponder is in a similar situation as Cam, except his WR corps is better.  I rank him at 3 though because I think Cam has a bigger upside.  He’ll be gone before the 3rd round.

4.       Blaine Gabbert- Jacksonville
Sunshine’s numbers in college were not overly impressive, but he has all the phyiscall tools.  Draft this guy in the 3rd round and throw him on your practice squad.

5.       Jake Locker- Tennessee
With Chris Johnson in the backfield, I don’t see a lot of down the field passing for the first few years.  He is another 2-3 year practice squad type of guy for most dynasties.  Early 3rd round.


Rookie RB’s
1.       Mark Ingram-  New Orleans
I really thought about the #1 RB long and hard but ultimately picked Ingram as he is on a explosive offense.  Ingram should be a top 3 pick in essentially every rookie draft.

2.       Daniel Thomas-  Miami
Thomas is a large back similar to Ronnie Brown and should get 25 touches a game easily.  I only ranked him second to Ingram due to the lack of an explosive offense.  Daniel goes in the top 4.

3.       Ryan Williams-  Arizona
You are going to get a lot of different opinions on who should be ranked 3rd but I believe that Ryan Williams will be the best RB in Arizona when all is said and done.  Top 8 pick.

4.       Mikel Leshore-  Detroit
Jahvid Best is probably the starting RB in Detroit, but Leshoure is going to get a lot of the goalline carries and 4th quarter carries. Best is also injury prone.  Top 10 pick


5.       Shane Vereen-  New England
If this wasn’t a PPR league then Vereen wouldn’t be on this list.  If he can increase his blocking skills he might become the 3 down back New England has been missing.  I’m thinking a top 12 pick.



Rookie WR’S
1.       A.J. Green-  Cincinnati
In almost every fantasy draft, Green will be the #1 or #2 pick.  He has Larry Fitzgerald type skills and when that opportunity arises you need to pounce on it.

2.       Julio Jones-  Atlanta
Mr. Jones will certainly have a better rookie year then Green, but over the long haul I see Jones as a second fiddle to Green.  Still going to be a top 4 pick in all rookie drafts.

3.       Torrey Smith-  Baltimore
I know some people will come at me saying that Little is the better WR than Smith, but I don’t see it.  Little only has one true year as a WR under his belt after converting to a RB. He doesn’t know the routes yet. Smith does. Smith goes in the top 12.

4.       Jon Baldwin- Kansas City
As I big WR on the outside, he should gobble up targets inside the red zone.  Bowe will take away from a lot of the coverage.  Most underrated WR goes inside the top 12.

5.       Greg Little-  Cleveland
Now I am not an idiot and would take Little if he fell far enough.  He is as raw as they come but is just as athletic.  Someone will over value him and take him in the top 10 when he is really a top 15 type draft pick.


I have a rookie draft coming up this weekend and am very excited about the possible outcomes.  I have the 10th, 11th, 16th and 30th picks in the draft.  I am in a good situation with my team so I can be a little aggressive if the time calls for it.  Otherwise I am taking the best player available at each pick.

I’ll give a breakdown of our draft after it’s over.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home